Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Cutting Up With Cake

Beloved left town to go turkey hunting. Do I miss him? Yes, but not nearly as much as when he left me here with three small children :) Now, I consider it a little “me” time…time to play in the kitchen.

CIMG1810

Does anyone remember this book? I found it while going through my mother’s recipes. It is a freebie published by Baker’s Coconut. I’m pretty sure those scribbles are mine….must have been learning to make the letter 8! I remember looking at this book as child. I wanted one of these cakes…I wanted to know how to do it. Anyway, although my mother never made one of these to my knowledge, she must have had good intentions. Time to rectify that.

CIMG1813

I must be going through a “buggy” stage of life. Lately butterflies, bumblebees, and fireflies seem to be creeping into my thoughts, food and decor. You may remember I made butterfly cookies for Easter. You can see those here. I had promised a friend a birthday cake and decided to give the butterfly cake a try.

DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT NOW, NOR HAVE I EVER BEEN A BAKER. You’ll soon believe me :)

CIMG1776

I started out with white cake mix in a rectangular 9x13 pan. I made two cake mixes and used about 1 1/2 of the batter. One cake mix just seemed a little flat and I wanted a big fat fluffy butterfly. I lined the bottom of the pan with parchment paper. This is one instance where sticking won’t do –I know these little tips because I tried one last month too. It ended up in the garbage disposal :) Cut the cake in five pieces—one at the bottom about one inch wide and four triangles. Be absolutely sure the cake is cool before cutting---another tip from my previous fiasco :) I used a serrated bread knife for cutting.

CIMG1781

Assemble the pieces on the tray or platter you plan to use to present it. One of my wings lapped over a bit, but it was no problem. I made two batches of cream cheese frosting tinted with yellow food coloring. You can find the recipe here. Two recipes was a bit too much. However, with a bag of vanilla wafers in the pantry, this presents no problem for me :)

CIMG1783

Now for the fun! I frosted the sides first. You will be frosting some cut edges so be sure to wipe the crumbs off your knife or spatula to avoid crumbs in the icing. I decided to skip the coconut (sorry, Baker’s). I bought an assortment of gummy worms and gum drops. These cut more easily and with cleaner edges if you use kitchen shears dipped in warm water. The result is definitely not ready for the food channel but fun and worth the effort. Even a little closure for me-now I can make 8’s and butterfly cakes too :)

CIMG1814

Fanny the Fish is next on the agenda!

Michael Lee West is hosting Foodie Friday (on Friday, of course) I’ll be linking up with her. She always has something beautiful and good to share. Join her and a long list of “foodies” by clicking on her button on my sidebar! Thanks for visiting!

30 comments:

  1. That book looks very familiar...

    Your butterfly is beautiful! I think the gummies are a great touch too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do think I remember that cookbook! The butterfly cake is beautiful. Thank you for the trip down memory lane! Annie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute, Susan! I don't think I ever saw that cake book..

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks like fun. I can remember some friends making the bunny cakes by cutting up the round cakes from round cake pans. You did good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an fun and great looking cake! Great job Susan!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awww! How cute! Did Jessie steal one the pieces of candy in the bottom right hand corner?:D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it! I make "fancy" cakes for my kids. I just posted a Butterfly cake last week. Check it out here.
    http://pumpkinpatchdesigns.blogspot.com/2010/04/foodie-friday-birthday-cake-anyone.html
    I also started a Messy Monday and a Transform Tuesday party. I'd love for you to link it up!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun post to read! It sounds like you had a great time making the cake, and I'm sure your friend was charmed by it! LOVE those vintage recipe books -- just got some from my sweet mother-in-law's collection.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How cute! My grand-daughter would LOVE that!
    xoxo Pattie

    ReplyDelete
  10. These cakes are just too darn cute! I'm going to pass this post along to my daughter. Do you think Fanny the fish could double as a space ship?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your tray is darling and your cake is too cute. Let us hear about the rest of the party. Like your butterfly colors.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Susan, looks like it has been awhile since I have been over here. Now that is one darling cake...never say one like that. I have a good friend who makes cakes, I will have to tell her about this!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Susan,

    Your cake looks wonderful and such a fun idea.

    Hugs
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Susan, my mom was the best baker ever and I do remember she once made a cute cate like the one you made. Somehow that lion seems familiar. Anyway, great job! May I have a slice?

    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  15. These are adorable! I just googled the cook book and it's selling for $46! I guess I'll just have to admire your designs.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Susan: What a fun book and a cute cake you have made! Joni

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is brilliant! I think this is something that my 13 year old would love!

    What a great book...can't wait to see the fish!

    Best wishes,
    Natasha.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I remember this book! It is so true that "what's old is new again". Very pretty cake! Thank you for stopping by!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh Susan I remember this book. I was just a little girl and would pour over it and dream about making each cake. I forgot all about it until it showed up here and so many memories came flodding back!

    Your butterfly is wonderful! The problem is... how are you not going to eat the whole cake?

    Please post the fish too.
    What a fun post! (Smiles!)
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  20. I like your butterfly cake Susan. I've never tried making cakes like this. My daughter makes most of the kids' birthday cakes, using methods much the same as you did and they are so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Susan, the cake turned out so pretty, and your header looks delicious! I can relate so much to your remark about resenting my husband going away when the children were small, and now, it's kind of nice to have a weekend to myself! laurie

    ReplyDelete
  22. HI Susan! I'm so glad you stopped by and are going to come to my party!! Woo Hooness!!
    Oh the butterfly cake is just the cutest thing!!
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I used to have one of those when the kids were small. Cute cakes and you did a great job replicating one....Christine

    ReplyDelete
  24. Very fun and I'm sure you little ones love what you do.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Susan! Is that not the cutest thing! I think you did a great job! Isn't it fun to revisit childhood fantasies and make them come true! Love it! So nice to have a visit from you. I've been a busy bloggy buddy, too, with my new grandson. Sorry to have been so long in dropping by! Happy weekend...hugs...Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  26. Susan they are so adorable! Oh you did such a great job. ~Precious!

    Thank you for entering my blue giveaway sweet friend. ~Melissa :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Cute! that book looks familiar. I wonder if my mom has one like it in her stash?

    ReplyDelete
  28. I have this book too---it was my Mom's and she made several of these cakes for her great grandchildren. I remember her making the duck, the dog, the rocking horse and particularly the lion! We made it together for my little grandson on his first birthday, (he turns 13 tomorrow)! Seeing the picture of it on your blog brought back so many wonderful memories! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love it!!! That is how I make my theme cakes, but I didn't know there was a book dedicated to it!!!! I am here from TT... I am your newest follower.

    ReplyDelete