Sunday, May 3, 2009

Metamorphosis and Blue Monday





I'm so excited to be joining Susan at Between Naps on the Porch for Metamorphosis Monday. I've been working on this project for a while and have shared just a tiny bit with you, but today I am ready for the unveiling of the guest bedroom I have been working on!




I am also going to post this over at Smiling Sally's for her Blue Monday event. This is my first time to join her. Blue is my favorite color so I'm excited to show you the blue in this guest bedroom. If you read my posts, you may know we have a wedding coming up...soon. I don't know what it is about weddings and babies, but I think they both put women in nesting mode! I didn't invite a soul to stay at our house, but suddenly felt the urgent need to redo a bedroom. I don't know. Maybe that's my way of letting off a little steam. Anyway, this is what I started with below--a perfectly decent, but decidedly masculine bedroom. The khacki walls and Ralph Lauren plaid and demin bedding were fine. But that inner nesting voice started talking :).




Good thing I'm changing things...that picture is way too high. I decided I would use two antique twin beds from another bedroom. They seem to be a better fit in this bedroom and probably more convenient for more than one guest. I had an idea of what I wanted, but wasn't sure about a color for the room.





So I started buying paint samples and just painting patches...living with it and looking at it in different lights and at different times of day. Once I got to this stage I knew I was committed. There was no way to explain those blue and yellow patches. After much trial, tribulation, and error, I decided on Whisper Yellow by Behr. I also decided to repaint all the wood work a ceiling white. It took me two and a half weeks to finish. I just never could find one day to devote to painting. I'd start and then have to clean up to go to a wedding appointment almost daily. I even showed up to have my hairlighted with renegade bits of Whisper Yellow. My hairdresser was not amused! I looked everywhere for fabric and online for bedding, and curtains.





This pillow sham was my starting point. I had used it in my master bedroom before I changed bedding. I bought the sham and euro shams on sale from Pottery Barn and then had them monogrammed in royal blue. They were just too pretty to waste!



You may remember the chair from an earlier Met Monday post. I found a blue stripe I loved and had it reupholstered. This chair, I have learned, is an early recliner and mission style.

I had given "the baby" the furniture in this room when he moved into his first apartment with his first job after college. Beloved did point out that now his apartment looked better than our empty guest room! After several antique and thrift store ventures, I found this dresser--not quite antique, just old. I paid $125.00 for it already refurbished. Some of you may not think this was a deal. Let me tell you, I do!! I happen to know that a good therapist costs over $100 an hour and that is straight where refinishing this would have sent me! I like that the top is still the original wood. It matches the beds. Those are very old marbles I've used in the vase. They were from my grandparents' house and I liked the color they added!





Finally, it's beginning to come together. The blue toile curtains are from Country Curtains. If you haven't checked out their catalog lately, I think you'll be surprised. They are not just country! The bedding is a white matilesse coverlet from J.C. Penneys.




I'm still tweaking. I have a couple more plates I may add...AW--that's after wedding.


Finally, this is the picture between the windows. I bought this by a local artist at a silent auction for a local charity. Now I know art "says" different things to different people, but it's not even speaking the same language to Beloved and me! He thinks it is lonely and depressing; I think it's serene and peaceful. :).


I'm so glad to share this with you and even happier to be through for now. I think I have "nesting" out of my system for a while--at least until AW (after wedding). Please join Susan at http://betweennapsontheporch.blogspot.com/ for the 16th Metamorphosis Monday and Sally at http://smilingsally.blogspot.com/ for Blue Monday!






46 comments:

  1. Susan, this is beautiful! I love blue and yellow together and I adore those monogrammed pillows! Your guest are going to feel sooo spoiled in this room! It was totally worth all the work! Great job and great Met Monday post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great guestroom. Of course, I am fond of blue and yellow -- a great combination. Loved all that you did and especially love the bedding.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've done a fantabulous job girlfriend! I love blue and yellow and white! And I agree with you on the painting...definitely peaceful and serene! Come by Curves any time to say hi! I'll be there Monday and Tues. night and then Wed. a.m.! Friday I'm getting my hair done and then modeling for a Mother's Day fashion show at Page Robbins Alzheimer Daycare Center. Then my sister is coming in town for a couple of weeks! God Bless! Lauralu :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH!MY!GOSH! This is FANTASTICALLY BEAUTIFUL! When can I make reservations! The quicker the better! WOW!!! I love love love that chair (mission recliner) I live in a craftsman bungalow - so naturally, right! LOL! And the upholstery is perfect! OH and TWO TWIN BEDS! SUSAN!!! This is my ABSOLUTE favorite combo in a guest room! ABSOLUTE! And then, second fave - monogrammed bedding! I could live here - SERIOUSLY! So I'm not kidding - what time should I arrive!? GREAT JOB!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Susan - it looks so bright and fresh! I've always wanted to do a room with yellow walls, and I love your color. I've written down the color by Behr.. A friend of mine just refreshed her bedroom in the same colors..and almost everythng is alike (your bedding is much nicer) she layered a dark blue kerchief on the round table.
    The mission chair is my favorite - does it have a rod in back to adjust? My Mom had one and we called it a Murphy Chair.. My living and dining furniture is mission and I love it!
    I have a feeing you may have some guests for the wedding!! lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. It all looks perfect, especially the bedding. I adore the monograms. I really need a pillow like those.

    Thanks you for sharing.

    Charla

    ReplyDelete
  7. Susan,
    This is so classy and pulled together you did an wonderful job! This was worth waiting for:0)
    ~Sherrie

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am with you, Susan. I also think that the painting is peaceful and serene. The twin beds look really good here and I love the toile drapes and the monogrammed shams. Great redecorating!...Christine

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just love the mission recliner...what a fabulous piece! My house is craftsman and it would be perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, great room and that recliner chair pad is still awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This room turned out beautifully! The colors are my favs, and I love those pillows. This just looks like a magazine picture. laurie

    ReplyDelete
  12. You did a great job! It looks fab!! I love the yellow and blue combination. Your Mission chair and the pillows are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Susan !
    I love all that navy blue and yellow ! It is so
    crisp and clean ! That was a funny comment about
    your hair and your hairdresser, LOL....I love the monogramming - I really wish I had my own
    machine to monogram everything...Isn't it funny how you can see something in your home one way and the hubby see it a different way ? I am so glad that God made us all different, otherwise it would be one boring world, LOL ! Thanks for
    sharing and have a great week !
    Hugs ~ Kammy

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would be very comfy as a guest in your room. I love the colors and the picture says warm and serene to me.

    ReplyDelete
  15. love the twin beds---so peaceful and comfortable looking--I am new to this so come by and visit me-

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks like a very pretty and relaxing room. I love the monogrammed pillows and the combo of blue and yellow is one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wonderful room redo. I love the blue and the yellow, and I think that dresser was worth every dollar that you paid and quite a bit more. Perhaps it is the nesting instinct, or perhaps as women we are just a fickle lot and like to see a little change every now and then. We tweak our hair color, our decor, it is all very positive in my opinion. Happy Blue Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I do remember that chair. How pretty this room is now with these special touches. Thanks for sharing. Happy 1st Blue Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  19. YOur bedroom looks great...love the dresser! And I think it's a great deal...I'ev seen some for that price that still needed work.

    Thanks for your kind comment on the loss of my Gizzy. He will be sorely missed but Cutie Rudy is helping me to deal w/ it.

    Doing teh derby is on my list of things to do before I die too. I vow that one day, I will be sitting in the grandstands, wearing some fou-fou hat & sipping on a mint julep. So help me, I will!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a gorgeous room! I love the combo of the yellow and blue. I especially love the monogrammed pillows. What a special designer touch. Just lovely. Amy :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Susan, just a lovely room. I adore the blue and white together.

    Happy Blue Monday.

    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love the monogram pillow which makes it so classy. I tend to like yellow so much that I often paint the outside of my homes yellow too. I find the color makes me HAPPY and it's good to feel happy:) The room is lovely and I am packed and ready to visit just need to put on my yellow rain slicker!
    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  23. This project came out beautiful! I know how time consuming it is too, but so rewarding when it is finished!
    Really nice...
    ~Really Rainey~

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautiful! I really like this room. Especially the monogrammed bedding. You pulled that space together very nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love the makeover!!! And the dresser was a deal. And so true about the art. I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  26. You've done a great job redecorating your guest room. The selection of furniture and bedpread and window treatments work very well together.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wonderful makeover! You were inspired to go with the yellow on the walls. The room is so cheerful! I'm with you on the painting...very serene and peaceful.

    Happy Blue Monday!
    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  28. Well it is a good thing you and your husband see such different things in that painting because now you don't have to share the room with him. Forget the guests too. I would be in there every chance I got if I were you.
    So fresh and crisp. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh my it is just beautiful,
    I hope you don't mind but I must invite myself to your new guest room for an overnight stay with that painitng.:)
    After all you have put togehter the perfect room for a retreat. What a great job you have done.
    I just love it.You are talented.
    Thank you for sharing all the photos .
    Happy Blue Monday .
    Blessings to you happy nester.

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a beautiful job you did! I just love monogramed anything and your pillows are stunning. Your guest room looks so crisp and inviting--and another favorite of mine is blue and white plates. You can never have too many! You have inspired me to get painting around here!

    ReplyDelete
  31. You have a beautiful room here. Susan I have never forgotten the gorgeous chair. Probably because it would look so great in my guest room! Your blog music always makes me feel so peaceful and puts a little lump in my throat in a very good way. The artwork fits right into the beautiful peaceful sentiment of this room. Girl, you are special.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Susan, Hi! I am susan, too. Also G.R.I.T.S. Had never seen that acronym. And I was afraid to try windows live writer thinking there would be no return but did try it and now use it. I have been blogging since the first of Feb. 2009, taking baby steps especially when it comes to interacting with my computer! Love the song. ...susan

    ReplyDelete
  33. My goodness, this is so pretty!! You just can't beat blue & yellow together! This is a stunning room!

    Hugs,
    Stephanie
    Angelic Accents

    ReplyDelete
  34. Looks great...wonderfully done...

    ReplyDelete
  35. Love the yellow walls with the blue...your room looks great! Have a Happy Blue Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Oh... simply lovely! I love the Country Curtains Catalog!!!! :0

    ReplyDelete
  37. This is a fine Blue Monday post !

    The Blue Monday flower on my photoblog is a sort of Cornflower, I think, but I'm not sure ...

    Have a nice day !

    ReplyDelete
  38. Hello! I am so glad you came to visit me! Because now I've found you! Yay!
    I Love blue and yellow together. At one time I had our master bedroom in our old house in blue and yellow and just adored it. Then we moved and bigger furniture was required (SHUCKS! :) ) so I moved it all into my oldest son's room when he moved away to college. Well, long story short, I've had to pack it all away again, all my pretty things, but it will return as soon as possible.
    I so enjoyed visiting you.I am on to go back in time on your blog and see what other wonderful things I will discover!
    HAGD! Karen

    ReplyDelete
  39. Your blue and white bedroom looks great! Love the blue and white plates, and the monogrammed shams!

    Katherine

    ReplyDelete
  40. You did a wonderful job redoing the guest room. I love it all! I especially love the matelesses (sp?). I am going to put one on my bed in our guest house. Not there yet, though. Love the monogrammed pillows too! Very classy!
    Traci

    ReplyDelete
  41. Thank you for leaving a comment on my WhisperWood Cottage blog! Love the reupholstered chair! It all looks fabulous!

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  42. Beautiful re-do! Great job! ☺ Diane

    ReplyDelete
  43. Your guest room is very similar to mine so you know I love it!..Christine

    ReplyDelete