Monday, August 2, 2010

A Cupcake Challenge and Audition

cupcake3-300x295

I must admit—posting cupcakes twice in a row is a unusual even for this cupcake lover. But I have two good reasons. First Hoosier Homemade has thrown down the gauntlet with a fun cupcake challenge on Tuesdays during the month of August. The theme is summertime fun and each week will have a specific challenge. Secondly, since I am hosting a baby shower in the near future, I am “auditioning” recipes.

Let the games begin!

grass

Our first challenge is to create a cupcake with a flavor that screams summer to us. Now, for me, smells evoke memories more than sights or sounds. The minute I smell fresh- cut grass I am once again a barefoot little girl shadowing my father as he does yard work. My feet are covered in damp St. Augustine grass and I am hot as I struggle with a rake in the humid Mississippi heat. But I know that a reward in the form of a treat and air conditioning is right around the corner.

pitcher

Mom always had pink lemonade waiting in the kitchen for us. Yes, it was just made from frozen concentrate. But it was ice cold and full of pulp. More than that, it was sharing a victory and a job well done. Fresh cut grass and pink lemonade don’t scream summer to me….they whisper in my ear of happy times gone by.

CIMG2500

So yesterday I tried my hand at a pink lemonade cupcakes. It would be just perfect for a little princess, princess in waiting, or bride to be. It could be made in pale yellow with regular lemonade for a gender neutral baby shower. Oh yeah, and it makes a fabulous lunch :)

CIMG2501

Pink Lemonade Cupcakes

1 (9 oz.) pink lemonade frozen concentrate, thawed and divided

3/8 cup water

1 white cake mix ( your favorite brand)

3 egg whites

2 tablespoons vegetable oil

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line muffin pans with paper liners. Mix all ingredients with an electric mixer until just blended. Fill muffin cups with about 1/4 cup batter each to insure cupcakes of a uniform size. Bake according to package directions or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Cool five minutes in pan and remove to finish cooling on wire rack. Frost with Lemonade Buttercream. Garnish with sprinkles if desired.

Lemonade Buttercream Icing

3 cups confectioners’ sugar

1 stick unsalted butter, softened to room temperature

3 tablespoons lemonade concentrate

red or pink food coloring (a little dab will do!)

Blend butter with 1 cup confectioners’ sugar on low to medium speed with electric mixer. Gradually add remaining two cups of sugar and concentrate. Blend well. Mix on medium to high speed until the mixture is fluffy and uniformly pink. Pipe or frost onto cooled cupcakes. Sprinkle with pink sugar crystals if desired.

Pink (or any color) Sugar Sprinkles

Shake 1 cup of sugar with 2 drops of food coloring in a plastic zip bag. Shake well!! Pour onto paper plate and allow to dry 15 minutes before using. Sprinkle with a spoon or shaker onto frosted cupcake. Store leftovers in sealed plastic bag for later use.

Don’t forget to join Hoosier Homemade on Tuesday for the Cupcake Challenge. I can’t wait to see the recipes! You can join the party I am also joining Blessed With Grace for Tempt My Tummy Tuesday. You'll find the party here! I am also linking to Beverly at How Sweet the Sound to share this sweet pinkness! You can join the party here.I am so glad you stopped by!!! Thanks for coming and don’t forget to say hello!

19 comments:

  1. Those look so good. I haven't baked in awhile but think I feel some cupcake baking coming in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those do sound good, and well as the lemonade. Only went outside long enough to get the mail today - I am a wimp. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm gaining weight just looking at those cupcakes. Summer makes me think of blueberries. Hint....Thanks for stopping by last week. Jane F.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The link to Hoosier Homemade is not working...:(

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow, I have to make these!

    ReplyDelete
  6. They look awesome! I just posted my first cupcake, and am waiting for the link to come up, and really excited to see what everyone comes up with! Your pink lemonaide cupcakes look awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Susan,

    These cupcakes look wonderful and thanks for sharing the recipe.
    Love the smell of freshly mown grass and brings back such happy memories for me too.
    Playing outdoors, all day was such fun.

    have a happy week
    Hugs
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh how I wish we could get pink lemonade concentrate in England!! Your cupcakes look so, so pretty!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. you've got lots of yummy looking things over here, and those cupcakes are no exception! love that icing.

    so glad you stopped by the cape on the corner, and i'm glad i'm not the only one that gets crazed when there are lots of shoppers around. :)

    have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those are georgeous! What a perfect treat for summertime, too!

    Thanks for sharing! Have a great day!!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is summertime alright!!!!! They look beautiful:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your cupcakes are beautiful! And I love the story that you told with it!
    Thanks so much for joining in the fun on Cupcake Tuesday and the Cupcake Challenge!
    ~Liz

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those cookies are SO pretty. I bet they taste delicious too

    ReplyDelete
  14. I used to love drinking pink lemonade in the summertime - seeing those cupcakes brought back memories! - www.delightfulcountrycookin.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the tangy sweet flavor of Lemonade Cupcakes! I use Lemonade flavored drink mix in mine and it's about time I made them again!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Susan, I don't know how you are baking anything - much less these pretty cupcakes in this heat! If the temps go down some, I'm going to try these cupcakes. Thank you for sharing the recipe. laurie

    ReplyDelete