Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Books, Beds, and Tablescapes

CIMG1700

What, you may ask, has this bed got to do with Susan’s party? No, I haven’t forgotten that Susan at Between naps on the porch hosts Tablescape Thursday. But I have been battling a spring cold/sinus infection---the kind that makes you want to go to bed, but not quite enough to allow it. This is our master bedroom—I don’t think I’ve ever invited you in. The bed is a reproduction rice-carved bed and I love it. Beloved gave it to me for our anniversary the minute we had tall ceilings :)

CIMG1697

This the tray I’ve made myself to pamper both my cold and my feelings. It’s amazing what a silver gallery tray covered in a vintage crocheted doily can do to lift your spirits! I plucked a couple of flowers from the table arrangement downstairs for the silver bud vase. Blue irises are one my favorites. I made myself some chamomile tea with honey, lemon, and a slice of fresh ginger. I think the vintage doily calls for a vintage teacup. I inherited eight teacups and saucers each depicting a different flower. I love the pierced saucer. There is no marking on either. The cold is a good excuse to catch up with my reading, journaling, and recorded television.

CIMG1693

But this is the book that has had my attention. I found it in a box of my grandmother’s books. It is dated 1928 and belonged to my great grandmother. I feel certain that it was a freebie from the Rumford Company. You know who Rumford is—they have been making Clabber Girl and Rumford since 1856.

CIMG1691

The chapter titled “Recipes for the Sick” recommends serving strange-sounding recipes with unfamiliar ingredients such as arrowroot, Irish moss, and sago. Delicacies such as Invalid tea and corn meal gruel are included. “Daintiness in serving greatly influences the appetite of the patient” and “has as much to do with rapid recovery as drugs”. In an era without as many drugs and cures as we now have, this must have been a comforting addition to the cookbook. But…..I think I’ll just go with the chicken noodle soup :)

I am also joining Michael Lee West at Designs by Gollum for Foodie Friday. You can get to both parties by clicking on their buttons on my sidebar! Thanks for visiting!

25 comments:

  1. Never heard of Rumford..dare I say it must be a Southern thang, LOL! I hope you feel better soon. You were all tuckered out from that auction, ran yourself ragged...
    Off to find some moss, I know I saw some in the lawn! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry you have been ill...that's the pits, but you have a wonderful bedroom retreat to rest in.
    God bless,
    d from homehaven

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susan, Bless you sweet heart! You set a table even even when you are sick. Love the cookbook, but don't make anything inn the sick chapter for Foodie Friday!
    Get better.
    hugs,
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you feel better, Susan. Your 4 poster bed is very pretty and even with meds, your trayscape is lovely.....Christine

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope you're feeling better -- what a pretty trayscape for your "sick" bed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry you have been under the weather, and hope you are feeling better this morning. The old books like that are fun to read. Pretty room!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, if I had to be stuck in bed, I can't think of a prettier place to be!!.. A very nice anniversary gift, I might add! Love your cookbook too! It is fun to peruse the older ones. Someday, someone will look through my OWN recipe books, and know all my favorites by the ones with the most stains and splatters!... Hope you're feeling better soon! ~tina

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sorry you're sick! I'm also in an invalid period following foot surgery, but my bedtrays haven't looked nearly as pretty as yours! Still, a meal cooked and served by my husband is a treat! Love your pretty teacup and pierced saucer -- so unusual.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry you are not feeling well, Susan. Lovely tray...I have that same cookbook, it is a treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I saw your blog link on "Between Naps...." and came here------I like your things! Your bed is beautiful.......and those lamps on your nightstands....they look familiar.....hey, they are just like MINE!!! I actually have something a decorating blogger has! Cool! I'm gonna go shine those babies up!

    Feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful room - and what a lovely tray! You can't help but feel better after that delicious cup of tea! Feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the bedroom--we have a similar bed, so I'm getting some inspiration. Beautiful tea tray...how impressive that you put it together while under the weather!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh how pretty this is. When I get sick, I want you to take care of me. You know how to do it right. Your bed is beautiful, and so is your bedding. Hope you are feeling much better. laurie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Poor thing! I do hope you feel better soon and you are lucky to have such a beautiful room to rest and relax in!

    Take care and look after yourself.

    Best wishes,
    Natasha.

    ReplyDelete
  15. First..I sure hope you are feeling much better soon...
    I am totally in love forever with your bed. So pretty.
    Your sick trayscape....delightful and if I lived close, I'd arm wrestle you for that pretty cup and lattice saucer.

    Yes, my dishes are ....what you said. They are in the other room, it is 2 in the morning and i'm too tired to walk in there and get the name off the bottom. I just bought them at an estate sale a few months back...I am in love with them.
    Night night...
    xo bj

    ReplyDelete
  16. Susan, I'm so sorry you're not feeling well. Hope you are doing better when you read this.

    I commented on your other post yesterday, and then I started thinking that you might not see my comments if you didn't read down that far. What a hoot those chandeliers are. I want one! LOL!

    Feel better. You can do that by thinking of me dealing with men with power tools and paint brushes!

    XO,

    Sheila :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hope you are feeling better soon, Susan!

    I love your bed...absolutely gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  18. So sorry your feeling bad! Hope the tea makes you feel better! Yes, a lovely Tea setting can lift you up! So much! I just love your bed! The tea tray is so pretty! You need to add this next week to Tea Time Tuesday! Get well soon Susan!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Now I would have NEVER thought about the boost you could get by tablescaping your sick tray. But it makes perfect sense. I can hardly wait to get sick to try it. Wait. Strike that.

    I do hope that you are better soon, and thank you for your funny comment on my blog. Yes indeed. Not marrying Eddie Haskell is definitely a bright side!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi, I hope you are doing better now. I love your tray with all on it, especially the tea cup It's so lovely.
    Greetings, Johanna

    ReplyDelete
  21. I hope by the time you read this you are all better dear!! I have a similar bed and just love it, they are so classic and elegant...never trendy!! Your tray is lovely.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a gorgeous bed! I also really, really like the tea cup! Hope you feel better by now!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Interesting cookbook. Your tray would cheer me up and I do hope you feel better. Your bed is beautiful. Thanks for your post.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh Susan...I hope you are feeling better...you did prepare yourself a wonderful tray...that alone would make me think I felt better!
    Have a beautiful week!
    ;-D Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  25. I think home remedies are the way to go whenever possible...or at least in conjunction with modern medicine. Those folks were onto something back then.

    Love your vintage teacup; it's so perfect with the silver tray tablescape! I hope you're feeling better by now. That tea looks delish, and very calming and healing.

    ReplyDelete