Sunday, March 21, 2010

Turkeys and Tidewater Blue

CIMG1506

Spring is finally here…at least on the calendar. My husband eagerly awaits the arrival of spring. For him it is turkey season. For me it is a time of renewal and that means paint! I cut this picture out of House Beautiful some time ago with my daughter’s guest bedroom in mind.

CIMG1448

When the men headed out of town for a weekend of turkey hunting, we headed to the Sherwin Williams. She has built in book shelves on one wall in a guest bedroom—great for storage and display, but it was dull and empty for the newlyweds.

CIMG1439

The bed is from the groom’s childhood. You know the one…brown, ugly, oak. They spray painted it black and she found a great blue comforter and shams at Target. From there, it was simply a matter of getting a little paint on the walls and giving the bookcase a personality on a budget.

CIMG1450

Because this is a 1940’s cottage style house and the bedrooms are very small, we needed a very subtle color. We took a sham to the paint store to help us choose a color. We chose Tidewater Blue—a pale blue with gray undertones. I think blue is one the hardest colors to “get right”. I was pleased to see that Sherwin Williams now offers a five dollar trial size. We chose a blue about two shades darker for the inside of the bookcase. The silver mirror and the plaques were both sale items at Hobby Lobby.

CIMG1452

Our next task was to fill these shelves on a budget. We began collecting things she already owned and looking at wedding gifts---a black, blue, and silver theme naturally emerged. She needs a bedside table and it is not on the budget this month, so we added a lamp from her college days for soft lighting. We found plenty of black books at the thrift store for 25 cents each. Just remove the dust jacket to find the color you need for your shelves.

CIMG1455

I removed one of the shelves to add a little variety and accommodate this large collage frame. (The groom previously had it hanging in the living room with the “strangers” still in it :). Sunshine redid some of their favorite photos in black and white to fill it. The picture on the easel is a signed picture of the very first kindergarten class she taught. We found the clock for 66 % off at Hobby Lobby. We added baskets, candle holders, and a few other things from Hobby Lobby and Garden Ridge—and all on sale. I think it is important to vary heights and textures to add more interest.

I found a neck roll pillow with the perfect blue and had it monogrammed. I think details “make” a room. Next up is a bedside table, window treatments, and another picture. We’ve ordered the fabric and will just do a valance. That is in the budget for next month….she’s learning :)

My husband says every time he goes out of town I either paint something or buy a dog. He’s lucky! Now I have another house to paint in!

I’m joining Susan at Between Naps on the Porch and Smiling Sally for Blue Monday…tidewater blue :). I hope you’ll visit both of these ladies. You won’t be disappointed!

38 comments:

  1. Susan, this turned out beautifully! I had so much fun helping with my son and daughter-in-law's new home. I know you made some wonderful memories
    xoxo Pattie and Allie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan, this looks fabulous! She is so lucky to have you to help her. I bet y'all are having so much fun. I need another house to decorate (or maybe a couple more houses). Love that wall color, and painting behind the shelves a darker color is such a great idea. It all looks so pretty. I want to be a guest at her house! laurie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful bedroom...I love the blue with the black and white. This is the style of room that I would like to see in my house.
    ♥, Susan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susan how pretty this turned out my friend...How lucky to have you for a Mama also...Thanks for sharing Hugs and smiles Gl♥ria

    ReplyDelete
  5. You did a wonderful job! I love the blue shade you picked and all the wonderful treasures you used to fill it. Creativity like this goes a long way in making things beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Incredible job. It is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the blue! Very pretty you did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a nice room. Love the paint color & all the silver/black accessories! At least your husband is lucky, you at least wait until he goes out of town! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi sweetie, this turned out wonderfully, love the blue and black, how chic. The bookcase sure showcases your finds around her home.
    hugs ~lynne~

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very pretty. The paint color on the bookcase is perfect. Nice job!

    I hope you'll drop by AtticMag to see Jane's Met Monday post.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the color palette. Beautiful makeover.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a gorgeous makeover! I really love those colors together.
    ~Amy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hmmmm my hubby is going turkey hunting in April...what can I do ??
    Love this bedroom and the colors are FAB !!!
    Kammy

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, this turned out terrific! Very nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very Pretty! I really like the color combination.
    She is fortunate to have you help her.
    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow!~Your room is fabulous;it's so pretty!

    Blue is my favorite colour!..,

    Do pop over for a visit to see my pretty blue and white dishes for blue Monday! This is my second time participating.

    Cheers and hugs from Wanda Lee

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gorgeous! Love the soft blues. Happy Blue Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  18. beautiful arrangement.

    Better late than never, my Blue Monday, have a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful room, ready for a magazine shoot!

    ReplyDelete
  20. You did a superb job. The color and all the accessories are fantastic. Happy blue monday.
    ann

    ReplyDelete
  21. You left such a lovely message on my blog and then I read that we both have 3 older sons and I thought we could be friends, but then I saw your GORGEOUS home and your ability to create such beautiful living areas and now I do not know if we can be friends. ;) Seriously, your home is brilliant. I sadly did not inherit the gene for creativity, decorating, or even painting. I thought everyone could paint until I tried. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love the color blue, Susan! This project came out so beautifully. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I had to laugh as my husband wishes I would bring home a dog instead of a pillow etc.
    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  24. Sue, this is absolutely AWESOME!! Please convey to your DD how beautiful we all think it looks. Gorgeous soft, muted colors & I think blue is so soothing for a bedroom.
    I wish I had such a cute room!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Susan, you certainly have a flair for decorating. I really love everything you have done in this room; it looks elegant, stylish and very calm. I might have to send you some pictures of my guest room and see what you think!

    Best wishes for a beautiful week,
    Natasha.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great job on the arrangement in the bookcase. Nice to "see" you this week. Thanks for stopping by to commiserate over my poor trees. -- Jane F.

    ReplyDelete
  27. The room looks great, the color looks very calming and relaxing :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. It looks really nice! You are a good mom!
    Where did you get the shutters?
    We finished the basement and the windows are small. I want to get larger shutters..but they are really pricey..got a good source?

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love that shade of blue, in fact I think I had my bedroom that same color once. I remember the color was called "Denim" at the time and I loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  30. LOL! He should be happy you didn't buy another dog, huh? It looks fantastic. You did a wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi Susan,

    What a beautiful guestroom you have created ~ all looks so inviting and lovely.
    Always great to see the transformation.

    Happy week
    Hugs
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  32. Isn't it wonderful what can be done with a can of paint? Rooms take on a whole new personality. Your daughter is so lucky to have mom's expert decorating advice helping her along. Love the shelves and display area in the guest room.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Goodness...this is most lovely...I can only imagine the joy she must feel...!
    What a marvelous thing to do and to share :)

    (i am now following anonymously, due to some stalking issues...)wanted to let you know :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. What a lovely room! The blue is a perfect colour and I really like how you went for a darker version at the back of the shelving unit. The other decor choices you and your daughter made are perfect for the space! It's it wonderful what a little paint can do? Totally rejuvinated that bed!!!

    Thank you so much for dropping by DesignTies on Monday and offering such terrific support for my home-staging post & project... it's so very appreciated!
    Victoria

    ReplyDelete
  35. This is quite beautiful! You did your inspiration picture proud!

    ReplyDelete