Sunday, December 6, 2009

Reindeer Moss Projects…Metamorphosis Monday

I think I may have told you before. I am “craft-challenged”….sadly, born without the craft gene. But today I am joining Susan at Between Naps on the Porch for Met Monday with a crafty makeover even I can do. It all starts with reindeer moss.

CMBG_Reindeer%20Moss

I bought a bag of reindeer moss at Hobby Lobby. Of course, I couldn’t just use it—I had to know what it really is. It turns out it is not a plant but a lichen, a combination of an algae and a fungi. It is so named because reindeer and caribou like to munch on it. It is common in the alpine tundra and grows in North America. My particular bag was a product of Norway, but on to the project!

CIMG0830

I am having a luncheon for friends on Thursday and I am working on a tablescape. This project will be part of the centerpiece. Martini glasses from Dollar Tree, styrofoam balls and reindeer moss from Hobby Lobby and lots of straight pins got me started.

CIMG0833

The reindeer moss comes in pieces….lots of piecing and pinning. I tried floral pins, but they seemed to show too much. A little while and a big mess later, I had three of these! Now on to another part of the centerpiece!

CIMG0846

Remember the Big Lots Gibson plates? They’re back at work. I’m glad to use the cups and saucers. We never drink out of them, but they’re perfect for this. I already had these candy cane candles.

CIMG0843

Dollar Tree floral foam trimmed and pushed securely in the cup. More piecing, more pinning, more mess….

CIMG0844

Another part of the centerpiece! I can’t take credit for the ideas. I saw these in the annual Christmas with Southern Living. I knew they were do-able for a non-crafter like me. Click on the MM button on the sidebar to visit Susan and more makeovers.

320597529_6c21476212_m

I hope you’ll be back on Tuesday for Deck the Halls. Mr. Linky will be up tomorrow night. I’ll be posting the entire tablescape on Thursday with Susan for Tablescape Thursday. Hope to see you!

23 comments:

  1. These are amazing...can't wait to see the whole thing!!
    I am so sorry but i forgot about your Tues. party and I've already re-posted once so I will try to link with you another Tuesday. I sure will be back over to see all the pretties!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it and you were EXTREMELY creative - Bravo ! I love those candle sticks !
    Kammy

    ReplyDelete
  3. SEE! You are crafty after all! I love that moss and use it all the time... I used it for Halloween scenes this year too...
    I love your reindeer moss martini!
    Have a great week!
    ~Rainey

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Susan!

    Sweet project! Love the moss.....see you CAN do it!

    Stop by....

    love, kelee

    ReplyDelete
  5. What cute ideas - hope you don;t mind if I steal some of them!!
    Guess you don;t have to have the "craft" gene to make something unique and outstanding!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pretty ideas! You are doing great for someone sayng she does not have the "craft gene". If it is not decorated in my home by now, it probably won't happen this year. I was in HL yesterday afternoon, and the place was packed. I plan on joining in for Tues.
    Have a great week.
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  7. Clever ideas, can't wait to see the tablescape!

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such cute ideas! I am excited to see it all together.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Susan,

    I am loving what you are doing here ~ these projects are lovely and can't wait to see the tablescape.

    Happy week
    Hugs
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the information re: the moss. This looks like such a simple idea. I can't wait to try it! ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  11. Susan, I really like both of these projects! I know it took lots of patience to get all that moss attached with pins...it looks great! Thanks for showing us how to do it, too! :-)
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think they turned out lovely. I hope you don't mind that I'm joining as a follower. Rosie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Has it overloaded you with other creative ideas to try? That's what usually happens to me. xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your project! It turned out beautifully. Can't wait to see the entire tablescape!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The candles in the mossed cups are beautiful. Great idea! I may have to "borrow" that one!
    Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very, Very nice!!! Great ideas!! I also did some scrolling down to see your adorable idea of the miniature fireplace under the cloche. LOVED it!
    And your amazing front door, with matching gold and crystal tree...wow!! And of course the Nativity with the Book of Luke opened up next to it was just beautiful. Thanks for all you've shared. Just wonderful.
    M.L.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You DO have some craft genes in you, girl! I love what you did. Linda

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love both of those. I'm not crafty either, but I think even I could do those. Such cute ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm so glad you told me what reindeer moss is. I didn't know and was embarrassed to ask! You might be craftier than you think, girl! These look mighty nifty. Maybe your craft gene is just appearing later than you'd think!
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  20. I ♥ the candy cane candles in the teacup, very cute. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Susan those candy cane candles look so cute in the coffee cups! This is going to be a beautiful party, and I'm looking forward to seeing the tablescape when you get it done. laurie

    ReplyDelete