Tuesday, November 30, 2010

The Very Last Pumpkin Recipe This Year…And Worth It

Technically, I know we are past “pumpkin season”, but since this is the last day of November I thought I would push my luck. I tried this recipe for the first time and it is just too delicious and too easy not to share.

CIMG3046

Thanksgiving also happened to be my son in law’s birthday. He is a pumpkin lover so I made this in his honor. I found this recipe in one of those handy dandy Kroger brochures that come in the mail. After lunch, I moved the recipe straight to the “keeper” file!

Pumpkin Trifle

Bake one (14 ounce) ginger or spice cake mix. (I used spice cake). Let cool completely. Prepare one large box of instant vanilla pudding as directed. Stir into the prepared pudding one can of pumpkin pie filling, 1/2 cup packed brown sugar, and 1/3 teaspoon ground cinnamon, ginger, or pumpkin pie spice. I used a little cinnamon and ginger. Prepare whipped cream. I whipped about two cups---I never want to skimp on whipped cream :). Crumble in large pieces part of the spice cake in a glass bowl or trifle dish. Layer half of the pudding mixture followed by a layer of whipped cream. Repeat ending with whipped cream. Garnish with a sprinkling of cinnamon.

Note—I might even try Cool Whip next time instead of whipped cream to make it even easier and faster.

It may be too late for this year, but save this one! Easy, delicious, pretty—A lot of bang for the buck!!! Now on to Christmas recipes…I promise :)

Thanks for stopping by! I’ll be linking to Michael Lee West for Foodie Friday! Click on her button to fatten up for the holidays :)

14 comments:

  1. Oh good grief!! It is almost 11:00PM and I am now starved!! :D That does sound and look so good.
    Can you believe, we had nothing made with pumpkin this Thanksgiving !! :O Not sure how that happened.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Pumpkin is part of the four major food groups in this house! We can NEVER get enough of it. This looks wonderful. Early in the season Jello makes instant Pumpkin Pudding, BUT when you see it you have to buy it because "It's GONE" the next time you go to the store. It's happened to me 3 years in a row. I am definitely making this. Thank you SO MUCH for the recipe...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds great and looks beautiful:@)

    ReplyDelete
  4. oooh THANK YOU for sharing:) It looks and sounds do delicious! I could see us gathered around the fireplace with hot cocoa and this yumminess while the snow flies:) A great recipe can be made any time of the year!!!
    ~Debra
    Capers of the vintage vixens

    ReplyDelete
  5. I make this too, and we still eat pumpkin here for Christmas! In fact today I am doing the pumpkin nut breads for the party Sunday. No, it is not in my house, having it out. Too many people, 80 adults invited and 30 little ones.
    It is going to be at the place that Giada filmed one of her Behind the Bash shows, but I don't like the current chef's desserts, so I am doing them! Busy , busy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness, Susan! this looks fabulous! I hope you are having a great week!...hugs...Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks yummy! Pumpkin is good anytime!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds delicious and so easy, thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. a few turns on the treadmill,
    a few laps in the pool,
    a few hours of jump rope...
    oh certainly~a dessert without consequence :)
    have to love the pumpkin.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my goodness that looks yummy. I just love anything pumpkin so I'll be sure to try this one. I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving and that your SIL enjoyed his birthday. Your home always looks so warm and inviting. You do such a beautiful job decorating and entertaining.

    Gigi

    P.S. Everytime I see the picture of your dog I can't help but smile. That's one adorable cutie.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Susan, that looks so pretty. I love anything that looks that pretty, and is easy to make, but with your taste recommendation, I know I'm going to be using this recipe some time. Are you okay? I have been so busy getting the Christmas decor up at my house, I haven't done much blog visiting since T'giving. Hope all is well at your house. laurie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Susan, thank you so much for that recipe. I am a pumpkin lover year round so this is a winner for me!

    Deanna :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. On the left side, you could decorate the party room, for an instant decorating idea,
    that all the policymakers who don't think fishing is a worthwhile sport, tell them you want more. Warning stickers online are supposed to know is about the ink. Texture filters basically will let you to print them in one go. Make sure that the clients would inspect these equipment pieces, but having the correct salon equipment will show that you see.

    Here is my blog stickers urban dictionary

    ReplyDelete