Sunday, November 28, 2010

First Things First

Christmas music on my favorite radio station 24/7, white twinkle lights appearing in yards around me, and the calendar is filling up….and not a twinkle light, shiny ornament, or fluffy bow in sight at my house….sigh. BUT

PICT0078

this year I was asked to be on my church’s flower committee. Now, for me, that ranked right under being asked to take a presidential cabinet position! This is such a talented group of ladies who are master gardeners and flower show judges. I have learned so much from them.

CIMG3070

I spent part of Saturday getting the church ready for the first Sunday in Advent. In a couple of weeks a bank of poinsettias will take the place of the fresh flower arrangement.

CIMG3074

This year we added swags to the pews for the first time.

CIMG3073

The balcony was draped with garlands, bow, and a wreath.

CIMG3078

The advent candles were arranged with faux greenery and berries.

CIMG3081

Every window was adorned with a hurricane globe, candle, and greenery. These will be lit at the candlelight service on Christmas Eve.

CIMG3084

And finally, the arrangement was made.

CIMG3086

All white with fresh greenery and holly. These ladies have been teaching me the art of using floral oasis and I thought I’d pass them along to you. Oasis makes it much easier to put your flowers where you want them and KEEP them there. In addition, the water will help preserve the fresh cut flowers.

oasis

Oasis can be bought at lots of places—Hobby Lobby, Dollar Tree, Michael’s, Walmart.

1. Use a knife to cut your oasis to fit the container. Sometimes it may take more than one piece and some creative cutting. Be sure that you leave the oasis one inch higher than the depth of the container.

2. Place the oasis in a sink or bucket of fresh cool water with the small holes facing up. These hole are already there for you. Don’t weight it down or leave it under running water.

3. Let the oasis soak for about 10 minutes. Remove it from the water and allow it to drain for just a minute or two.

4. Now you are ready to place the saturated oasis in the floral container. At this point it will be fairly soft and pliable.

5. Secure with floral tape if desired.

Now, most of you may already know all this. I did not so I am passing it along just in case! I am joining Susan at Between Naps on the Porch for Metamorphosis Monday. Just click on her button on my sidebar for transportation!

I’m so glad to be back after a short hiatus! I missed you more than you can imagine. I hope you’ll be back…I’ve been cooking and have lots to share! Thanks for stopping by… leave me a note :) ~~Susan

11 comments:

  1. Congrats on your appointment!! Everything looks so festive and beautiful..you'll have to try and take a photo Christmas Eve. The large fresh white floral arrangement is gorgeous beyond words..so striking!
    Thanks for the oasis tip!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How exciting for you and it looks like things are coming along nicely. I love all the pretty floral arrangements. There is a lot of talent here. Have fun!

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lots of lights and decor around, and I am just now getting started. Your church looks so pretty! Really like the swags on the end of the pews.
    Have a great week.
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an honor! And it's all so beautiful....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Susan, thanks for visiting my blog. I DO love the Amy Grant song, Better than a Hallelujah. I'll need to listen to that one more often, too. I'm doing better today - thanks for the kind words.

    Great job on the flower committee, btw!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The flower arrangement is just beautiful, and the candles will be amazing at the Midnight service:@)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very pretty arrangements and a very pretty church! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How beautiful your church looks -- you and the flower committee did a beautiful job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks great - I am glad you got this privilege...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Susan,

    Welcome back!
    The Church looks wonderful and love the way you have arranged everything.

    Happy weekend
    Hugs
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  11. Susan, it looks beautiful. I'd love to see the candlelight service with those candles lit at each window. Hmmm, I don't think our window sills at the church are deep enough for that, but I'm going to look and see. The candlelight service is one of my favorites. I feel sure that these ladies have learned a thing or two from you too. You are a perfect selection for this committee. laurie

    ReplyDelete