Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Harvesting Lunch...The Perfect Pair

I have always half-joked with Beloved that our marriage vows say, “for better, for worse, but not for lunch”:). I just thought having a man at home in the middle of the day would interfere with my routine---not to mention messing up the kitchen again.

CIMG2997

However…(don’t you love that word? It opens the door to so many possibilities :) Firstborn’s schedule now brings him to my neck of the woods a couple of times a week. What’s a mother to do? Feed him of course! One of his favorites after the weather begins to change is soup and sandwich, the soul-warming lunch classic …the stuff tv commercials are made of :)

CIMG3003

I’ve taken the candy corns out of the stemmed pillar holder and substituted fall berries, nuts, and candles called “harvest home”. The smell is divine and makes me want to stay in and “nest”!

CIMG3005

Firstborn appreciates a little pampering, and setting the table encourages conversation rather than ESPN watching :)

CIMG3004

I might even let Beloved come home for lunch :)

The Ultimate Grilled Cheese Sandwich

One slice each of cheddar, Swiss, Colby-Jack, and Muenster cheeses, or any combination you like.

2 slices of Texas toast—I used thickly sliced homemade sour dough

1 package garlic and fine herb-flavored Boursin cheese, softened

Butter, softened

Place cheeses on one side of bread. Spread about 2 tablespoons of Boursin cheese on the other slice. Put the two sides together :) Spread butter on both sides. Cook in a skillet, (I like my black iron one for this), covered, over medium low heat for 6-7 minutes per side until lightly browned and the cheese has melted. ***Covering the skillet ensures that the cheese melts! Enjoy!—adapted from Southern Lady magazine.

I am linking to Between Naps on the Porch for Tablescape Tuesday and to Designs by Gollum for Foodie Friday. Thanks to our hostesses Susan and Michael Lee West! You can get to the parties by clicking their buttons on my sidebar!

Thanks for stopping by—come back for lunch anytime! Don’t forget to say hello!~~Susan

24 comments:

  1. What a lucky first born. I would love to come to lunch at your house. It all looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make a mean grilled cheese!! It sounds delicious with all those different cheeses...I am definitely going to try this and pray my firstborn isn't around!! Thanks, Susan!

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everything looks great, bet you had a nice visit! (Glad you're thinking about letting hubby join in too:@)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love grilled cheese and tomato soup!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Classic combination, and yours looks so good. That is what I call a gourmet grilled cheese - Yummy! :D
    Enjoy your evening!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My man is home for lunch everyday! God's plan, not mine.
    You get used to it,no choice.
    Glad you enjoyed having one of your men for lunch.
    I would love to have a quiet lunch alone with my son. He has 4 little ones, so there is no such thing as quiet or alone! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh how funny! Your comment about interfering with your routine reminds me of a friend of mine. She used to say that she wanted to live on the water when she retired and mentioned something about dinner with her husband. When I asked her about having lunch with her husband, she said, "Oh no. Lunch is for my lady friends, lol!"

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very pretty! Your sandwich makes my mouth water. I would love one right before bed ( I know it is supposed to be bad for you but it makes me sleep better.)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, this makes me miss my first born! He is just too far away. I think a little pampering is always in order. Pretty table and lunch looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Now this is a cozy, welcoming lunch..
    Soup and a sandwich is always great and I must try your recipe for grilled cheese.. It sounds delicious...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I liked your post (tee hee about having our beloved spouses at home for lunch!) It is nice that your oldest can come home for lunch. You are making me hungry and it is only 8:00 am! Joni

    ReplyDelete
  13. Soup and sandwich lunches are SO comforting! They remind me of walking home for lunch in elementary school -- soup and sandwich were often what Mama served us. Those were the days!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is the ULTIMATE lunch for a chilly fall or winter day! Delicious, and very nicely served!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your setting looks lovely, and that sandwich is to die for. I think I will make a version of it tonight. I love grilled cheese and tomato soup.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Susan!
    Ah, admittedly, i try to pull out the good pieces for the most insignificant of occasions!
    nice to hear that love abounds !!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love grilled cheese sandwiches and will have to try the next one with a touch of boursin....good idea and good for you for changing your routine. Hope it was appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely luncheon setting for sharing time with the Number One Son. Thank you for sharing your charming design and the recipe. Cherry Kay

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh, the ultimate comfort food, Susan! May I join you? And I want to use that pretty spoon... I love antique silver!

    XO,

    Sheila :-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Susan,

    A grilled cheese sandwich and tomato soup are often a favourite winter lunch time meal, here.
    What a lucky Son you have.

    Enjoy the weekend
    Hugs
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sounds like the very best grilled cheese ever! I love that you make it in an iron skillet (can you imagine trying to make cornbread in anything else?).

    Hope you have a fantastic weekend!
    Bill

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hey, I'm a firstborn! Next time you make this delish treat, I'm gonna be knocking on your door!!! JK! I've never thought of combining cheeses....I can't wait for lunchtime now....thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  23. How yummy this looks...very UPscale toasted cheese!!


    Regarding your question about learning to smock:

    My friend & sewing mentor, Laurie (SewNSew) has some wonderful tutorials on her site, Southern-Stitches. /Tutorials.html
    She lives in TN. I know you are partial to Ole Miss...if you live anywhere near Continental Sewing in Jackson, MS I know they give lessons.

    /Continentalsewing

    You first need a pleated piece of fabric. If you don't have access to anyone with a pleater to do that for you (heirloom shops) I would be HAPPY to send you a piece of pleated white fabric for you to practice upon.

    Look over her lessons & then email me via my blog after you've decided whether its something you want to try doing or not.

    ReplyDelete