Saturday, November 27, 2010

Play It Again...With Apologies to Robert Frost

Edited: Hi gang! I have missed you! I am back from a short unplanned hiatus--renewed, refreshed and revived! I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving and are cranking up for the holiday season! I first posted this last November and thought I would share it again with Chari at Happy to Design for Sunday Favorites and with The Tablescaper for Seasonal Sundays. I hope you will join both of these lovely ladies by clicking on their link! I hope you'll come back next week--I have some goodies planned!

CIMG0548



Raking Up Leaves on an Autumn Evening

With Apologies to

Robert Frost





Whose leaves these are I think I know.

The tree is not my yard though.

It seems all wrong to yell and hiss

To treat the leaves as if a foe.



My little dogs are full of fear

For they can hardly walk in here.

The crunch and crackle frightens them.

They do not like this time of year.



My husband fumes and stomps his feet.

It seems he can’t admit defeat.

Leaves cover up his perfect path,

Swirl and fall and then repeat.


The leaves are yellow, brown, and deep.

So I will rake without a peep,

With leaves to rake before I sleep,

With leaves to rake before I sleep.



OutdoorWednesdaylogo5454[4]



I am joining our hostess Susan at A Southern Daydreamer for Outdoor Wednesday. Please join her here for more outdoor fun. Robert Frost has long been my favorite poet. If you would like to read his poem “Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening”, click here. I hope you will come back on Thursday for my 100th post, an invitation, and a giveaway!



15 comments:

  1. Oh...you are at it again, Susan! I love your poetry!! You are quite good and I have the feeling the tree could be mine!

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it! I always say as I am a native New Englander, When everyone comes from so far to "Leave Peep", I say let them REALLY experience FALL...AND..."Hand them a RAKE"!!!
    Hugs to you for making me smile!
    Just this afternoon, my son looked into one of my gardens that lays behind a hedge of boxwood and I saw him "chuckle and shake his head", when I asked him "WHY", he said he "Cleaned the leaves out 4 times AND "They're Back"!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute! Had to call the family in to listen to this one, thanks for the smiles!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Susan...

    Sooo happy to have you join in with Sunday Favorites this week, my friend! I just adore your poem...ohhh my goodness...it IS SOOO TRUE! Hehe! Right now our yard needs a good raking but it's too cold...eeeks! Hehe! So glad to hear that you enjoyed your little blogging break. I'm looking forward to all that you have planned for us!!!

    Thank you again for joining in with Sunday Favorites!

    Have a super Sunday, my friend!
    Chari @Happy To Design

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute, I was just doing the same last weekend! Go easy or you'll be fitting Tylenol into the rhyme:@)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely poem! Have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great work on the poem - it made me smile. Lovely photo too...

    ReplyDelete
  10. That was neat! We have three very tall red oaks and you can't see the grass in our back yard. I don't care if it ever gets raked, but I'd like the front cleared away....

    Hope your thanksgiving was wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love that poem.. totally. As I'm watching my husband prepare to fight the foe himself with the help of the motorized sucker/blower. Our yard too is covered and now that they are all finally down, it's time to get them up.. Happy Holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your poem -- We have oak trees -- they keep dropping leaves all winter --- really drives you crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Clever poem! Made me smile and chuckle. It's seems to be a never ending task.

    ReplyDelete
  14. As I have said, I think God should have invented leaves that self destruct when they hit the ground! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. There is something about leaves falling and creating a blanket upon earth. Thanks so much for being a part of Seasonal Sundays!

    - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete