Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Camp Susu Snacks—Peanut Butter and Chocolate Cupcakes

All this week I’ve been sharing my niece’s visit to my house (Camp Susu :) with you. You can read about it here and here. I promised to post the recipe for the cupcakes pictured in Monday’s post. And I’ve got a little tip to share with you too!

CIMG2226

These are filled cupcakes, but they start out like any other cupcake.

CIMG2230

Most recipes for filled cupcakes instruct you to squeeze the filling in with the tip on a pastry bag. I have had limited success with this method. It works; it just doesn’t provide room for that full gooey filling I’m looking for. I tried my apple corer and IT WORKS great! Just core the cool cupcake gently. Save the removed cake portion and proceed with the filling. Replace the removed portion when you are ready to frost the cupcake. You may need to cut a little off the edge to make it fit after adding the filling. I got lots more filling into the cupcake using this method.

CIMG2289

See? Lots of gooey goodness inside. This is the perfect cupcake for those of us who like chocolate paired with peanut butter!

Peanut Butter and Chocolate Cupcakes

Cupcakes

1 1/4 cups all purpose flour

1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder

1 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 cup milk

1/2 cup sour cream

1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, softened

3 large eggs

1 1/4 cups sugar

1/2 cup peanut butter (I used crunchy)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line 24 muffin cups with paper liners. Whisk first four ingredients in a medium bowl until well mixed. In another bowl, whisk milk and sour cream until blended. Cream butter and sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer. Beat in peanut butter until blended. Add eggs, one at a time until incorporated. With the mixer on low speed, add alternately add flour and milk mixture, beginning and ending with flour, until just blended. Spoon 1/4 cup batter in liners. Bake about 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes. Remove from pan and place on wire rack to cool completely.

Peanut Butter Filling

1/2 cup creamy peanut butter

3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened

1 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar

3-4 tablespoons of milk

Beat peanut butter and butter with electric mixer until smooth. On low speed, gradually beat in confectioners’ sugar and milk until blended and smooth. Beat on high one minute until fluffy.

Chocolate Frosting

2 cups semisweet chocolate chips

1 cup sour cream

Melt chocolate chips in a glass bowl in the microwave as the package directs. You can also do this in a double boiler. Add sour cream and beat with electric mixer until fluffy.

*Adapted from Woman’s Day Magazine

Now get a glass of milk and a good book :) I am joining my favorite foodie Michael Lee West at Designs by Gollum for Foodie Friday. Click on her button on the sidebar to go straight to the party!

Thanks for stopping by! Don’t forget to say hello! :)

23 comments:

  1. My husband will flip over these! I HAVE to make them! Thanks! :-)

    xoxo
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now, I KNOW I am signing up for Camp Susu! Where do I sign, Susan???

    XO,

    Sheila :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH MY GOODNESS!!! They MUST serve these in heaven!!! You know they do... To me this is THE best invented combo ever to be given to mankind!!! NOW to go bake these!!!
    Thank you SO much, Donna

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a friend who is a Reese's Peanut Butter cup addict so will definitely love this recipe...me too!

    xo, Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmmmmm, MUST HAVE CUPCAKE!!!! Like the center down the middle hole instead of the sideways method, good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chocolate and peanut butter - Yum! Thanks for sharing the recipe. Sounds and looks a lot better than that "store bought" cupcake under the dome across the room from me right now. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  7. There is NOTHING better than chocolate and peanut butter! Your niece isn't going to want to go home!
    xoxo Pattie

    ReplyDelete
  8. I tried to post earlier this week about how smashing it is that you are providing so much fun for your niece...but I couldn't comment. Love these and I saw them in WD too...they look yummy! I had a wonderful Aunt like you...will you adopt me (I am just a leeeetle bit old). Joni

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks yummy, Susan! Thanks for the tip...Christine

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh how yummy! your little niece must be having the most wonderful time with you.
    Thanks Susan for sharing the recipe.

    Enjoy the rest of the week
    Hugs
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh yummy! Sign me up for Camp Susu:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are my kind of girl. I don't like cupcakes because I only want the top half with the frosting, so I did a couple of posts where I split them and filled them. I did one similar to this with a chocolate cupcake and a cream cheese peanut butter filling. I love the way you filled though, so easy, and you can get as much as you want!! Thanks for being a follower, I guess we shouldn't count, but it really helps to know that someone is reading and I have loved connecting. I need to double check and if I am not already, I will be your newest follower.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow!! What a clever idea!!! Good for you!!! I'll have to try this! It looks sooooo delicious! Wishing you a grand day! Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful! And a fun use for a kitchen gadget we may already have-thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those look decadent and delicious! Mmmmmm! Thanks for sharing.
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mmmmm...I would need one for each hand!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a fun camp! Love the treats! Great idea with the apple corer. I always see them use some gadget on the cupcakes shows, this will work perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  18. These look de-lish!

    - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love peanut butter!!!! I will be trying these soon. Stop by for a visit I am having a CSN Giveaway:)

    ReplyDelete
  20. My daughter will love this recipe. Another use for extra sour cream- I love that!

    ReplyDelete
  21. The cupcakes are amazing. Both the youngs and the youngs at heart will definitely enjoy these cakes. Thank you, Susan for sharing the recipe. This is a must try.

    May Your Day Be Lovely,
    The Muse

    ReplyDelete
  22. They look delicious! I use that as a filling for my chocolate layer cakes, sour cream mixed with melted chocolate.
    Didn't know about the cupcake challenge. Maybe next week! Have to go check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Glad I stopped by as I've been thinking about some chocolate cupcakes with peanut butter frosting!!

    ReplyDelete