Happy 50th Birthday Barbie
If you are reading this, chances are good that at some time in your life you have played with or bought a Barbie doll. Millions of us have dressed and fantasized with these little beauties for the last fifty years. Here are a few interesting facts to help you celebrate her big day:
- Barbie, introduced in 1959, was the dream doll conceived by Ruth Handler, wife of the cofounder of Mattel.
- Her full name is Barbara Millicent Roberts.
- She is named after Ruth Handler's daughter.
- Barbie has four sisters: Skipper, Stacie, Kelly, and Krissy.
- Ken was introduced in 1961 and is named after the Handler's son.
- Barbie and Ken broke up on February 14, 2001 after forty years. (I never did like him anyway)
- Andy Warhol was commissioned in 1986 to do a portrait of Barbie.
- Barbie is from the fictional town of Willow, Wisconsin. (That explains the accent)
- Teacher Barbie, introduced in 1989, was met with controversy because she wasn't wearing any panties (an oversight, I'm sure)
- Francie, introduced in 1967, was the first African American Barbie.
- A Barbie sporting a nose ring and ankle tattoo was introduced in 1999. She was not a hit. (duh)
- And finally, if you owned one of the original $3.00 1959 Barbies in mint condition you would have a doll worth over $27,000.00!!!
I just couldn't let this icon who has meant so much to so many of us go by without recognition!! Happy Birthday and happy memories!!