Thursday, May 14, 2009

Foodie Friday.....Trainwrecks



Our dear friend and hostess Michael has invited us to share trainwreck food stories this Friday. While most of mine involve burned bread, forgotten ingredients, or temperamental yeast I would like to share one almost-tragedy with you. Several years ago I was making chocolate icing for a cake to take to Beloved's company picnic. The icing, according to the directions, was to be made in a double boiler. I could not find mine that day and resourceful girl that I am, I decided to use two pots stacked one on top of the other. Bad idea! Let me say that again---very bad idea! The two pots formed a seal very similar to a pressure cooker and quite literally BLEW UP! I happened to be "stirring constantly" when this happened. Chocolate and scalding water blew up in my face and onto the ceiling. I received third degree burns down my arm and upper face (really in my hairline, thank goodness!). My burns, though painful, eventually healed. The ceiling was sealed and repainted several times. We no longer live in that house, but had the occasion to visit it not long ago. And no, you might not see them, but I do....those brown spots on the ceiling. So my trainwreck story is really a cautionary tale. Do not improvise when it comes to double boilers! Okay, now I bet somebody else has something fun to share and not this old tale of woe. Join them by clicking on the Foodie Friday button...and buy yourself a double boiler!

27 comments:

  1. oh no! sounds like something I might do! I am glad you are okay! Happy Foodie Friday! Have a great weekend ~ Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would do this too! And you got burns! Really was a trainwreck!
    Robin
    All Things Heart and HOme

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW that is a real wreck. Happy Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, wow! Thanks for the warning. That sounds just like something I would try.

    XO,

    Sheila :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry you were burned. Thanks for the warning.
    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, how horrible. Thankfully you are fully recovered.

    amy@maisonbelle

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the warning. I had no idea.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I use a glass bowl over a pot of boiling water most of the time --

    Wow -- what an experience -- and a true trainwreck that was!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had not idea that could happen. In a hurry, I'll set a small metal bowl on the pan. I will certainly be mindful from now on.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my gosh ,are you sure your okay ?????
    I do hope everything turned out well !
    blessings to you for a wonderful weekend .

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yaouchee!! Almost an I Love Lucy moment without the laughs!! Glad you healed up okay!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my goodness! I had no idea this could happen. Thanks for the warning - I have done the improvised double boiler thing before!!! Jewel

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my, what a horrible thing to happen to you! So glad you have healed and there are no lasting brown spots on you as there are on the ceiling! Thanks for stopping by, I enjoyed your blog. I love the Mother's Day Brunch set up! Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my gosh Susan! Thank the Lord! It could've been much worse! I had no idea that could happen! It's rare that I use a double boiler, especially since I don't have one! But I do that trick with the two pots, now I won't for sure! You have a wonderful and blessed day! (another rainy one!!!!) Lauralu :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a nightmare! So glad you healed ok. I will be sure to remember this tip. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh so sorry your got burned! I do that all the time..but I have never had one blow up...I guess I better not do it anymore...I'm taking this as a warning! Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  17. How scary! I have almost done that very thing, fortunately one of my two pots was dirty so I used a bowl instead. I had no idea it would do that - thank you for the warning.

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am going to head that warning! I had potato soup literally blow-up on me from a pressure cooker - sprayed everywhere and was dripping from the ceiling - yuck! I also had a pyrex pan of brownies blow-up on me, too. I'm glad to hear that you are doing fine. ~ Robyn

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, that was some experience! Thanks for sharing your warning!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have a pressure cooker phobia, so this really makes me squirm. You probably still have vivid memories of it. I never would have never thought about two pots sealing and blowing up like that, but it makes sense. It's a good warning, but a painful tale for you. I am glad you healed, but sorry you had to go through it. Susan, thanks for sharing the story.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Susan, I have done that before (stacked two pots, not had them blow up)! How terrible! I'm so glad the burns healed, but what a horrible experience. Thanks for the advice. I think, after reading your story, I'll remember to not try that any more! laurie

    ReplyDelete
  22. ouch, thank you for the warning and I am so glad you are okay now, as if the burns were not enough, that explosion must have been very scary.
    I hope you have a happy weekend, Kathy.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I will certainly buy a double boiler. My mom always used a glass or stainless steel bowl on her pot. And a good oven mitt. It worked. A double boiler is much better though. Thanks for the warning.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Strangely enough this method is often recommended by t.v. chefs.
    Thanks for the heads up.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks for letting us know, and so sorry you were burned.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Like Nancy, I have done it too! Now I use the microwave to melt the chocolate for the icing..
    Those burns sounded awful!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I had no idea that this could happen. How awful!
    I have had my share of few train wrecks but I think my husband wins the prize...there was an explosion involved. A story for another day.

    I have enjoyed touring your blog! Thank you for your encouragement!

    ReplyDelete