Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Welcome Fall Tablescape

Tonight at 10:09 pm my little part of the world will officially usher in the beginning of fall with the autumnal equinox. We will be needing that official proclamation; the weatherman has forecast record-breaking highs of 96-98 degrees. But, no matter. Sometimes seasons are a matter of the heart and not the thermometer.

CIMG2778

I’m afraid a busy schedule has made me a little lax in the feeding of my family lately. So I’ve planned a meal to welcome fall and the table is already set.

CIMG2783

I bought this set of dishes several years ago at Steinmart. After using it for a while, I tucked it away and had almost forgotten about it. The pattern called Still Life has all the deep, rich jewel tones I associate with fall.

CIMG2784

There are four different patterns in both the dinner and the salad plates so I like to mix them up.

CIMG2790

The centerpiece is sunflowers I purchased for next to nothing in the last few minutes of a street festival on Saturday. The carafe makes an interesting vase.

CIMG2781

Susan’s napkin tutorial last week sparked my interest in playing with napkins. These are “wash and wear” napkins made out of a blend, so they are perfect for a week night family dinner. I’ll show you how to make this easy silverware pocket next week.

CIMG2788

The stemware, also from Steinmart several years ago, is sturdy and ready to hold water, milk, or your favorite merlot :)

CIMG2793

You can nibble on some hors ‘d, oeuvres and check out the menu while I finish up in the kitchen. I put out some homemade sour dough bread, grapes and cheese.

CIMG2786

Apple and Fennel Salad

Marinated Pork Tenderloin

Fresh Mustard Greens

Wild Rice

Cornbread

Apple Dumplings with Vanilla Ice Cream

**I’ll be back for Foodie Friday with the salad and dumpling recipes!

And I couldn’t resist this—Remember the street festival I told you about? I saw this and thought of Susan at Between Naps on the Porch.

CIMG2761

Aren’t you glad this isn’t Susan’s philosophy? :)

Happy fall and thanks for stopping by. And thank you Susan for not “keeping it on the porch”! :) Click on the Tablescape Thursday button on my sidebar for immediate transportation! See you tomorrow with recipes and pictures ! :)

23 comments:

  1. Such a nice tablescape. The dishes with the blue and then the pop of the sunflowers. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your family is in for a treat to be seated at this table for dinner. Love those dishes. I'd start using them rather than keeping them packed away. They are lovely. Beautiful table! ~ Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful table. The pears on the dishes make them perfect for fall dinners! I love the napkin fold and can't wait for your tutorial. Thanks, Susan!

    xoxo
    Janie

    P.S. Love the sign!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a pretty table setting to usher in Fall. Your menu sounds wonderful - except for the greens. :D
    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Autumn to you Susan ~ I loved seeing your Fall tablescape, the blues and yellows and the sunflowers are all so beautiful.
    The menu sounds delicious too.

    Hugs
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Perfectly beautiful! I'm sure the family will forgive you with this lovely setting. As for fall, I'm turning down the temperature on the ac and putting a fire in the fireplace. I learned that little trick when we lived in southern California!

    Happy fall!

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, Susan, it is so elegant & inviting. Love the blues wit your autumn inspiration.
    Have a lovely eve ~
    TTFN ~ Hugs, Marydon

    ReplyDelete
  8. Still warm here too, we had to put the a/c back on today. But no fire in the fireplace!

    Those plates are so pretty, and the table looks lovely. Blue and yellow ... always a winner!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the dishes. The colors are beautiful and I also associate fruits with fall. The sunflowers add just the right touch of color with the cheese board. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love those dishes. Love the blue and white and the lattice pattern on them. Beautiful sunflowers are the perfect centerpiece.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great 'scape! We don't have a Steinmart here, wish we did! Love the colors and the sunflowers are really fun!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love those pretty dishes...perfect for ushering in fall. Your bread, cheese and grapes look beautiful too. Very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those dishes are just so pretty--I love the border on them and the beautiful fruit basket. The colors of your placemats pick up the trellis on the dishes beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a pretty table! Those dishes are just lovely. I agree with the philosophy of seasons are a matter of the heart. I am waiting for some cooler temps too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That meal sound delicious. And the dishes are very lovely and cozy-looking.

    ReplyDelete
  16. So pretty -- I love blue and yellow. Your fancy napkin folding reminded me that somewhere I have a book that shows a lot of those folds. If I ever locate it, maybe I will post about it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful dishes...the sunflowers go so nicely with blue. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a lovely setting! And I simply adore sunflowers.....any time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a beautiful table.
    I love blue and yellow together.
    I enjoyed visiting and linked to the same party.

    Laura
    White Spray Paint

    ReplyDelete
  20. The sourdough bread and cheese, incorporated as part of the centerpiece, is a brilliant choice. It is such a welcoming touch, and the texture of the bread is a great design element. Thank you for sharing your charming tablescape. Cherry Kay

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love those plates. I bet they got lonely stashed in a forgotten corner. I'm glad you brought them out to play. Your table is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Susan, I am loving those plates! Not only is each "still life" beautiful, that border is stunning. Perfect fall table setting, and very clever napkin folding! laurie

    ReplyDelete