Thursday, April 23, 2009

Hound Dogs and Strawberry Pie



I suppose you're wondering what this Basset Hound could possibly have to do with Gollum's Spring Fling for Foodie Friday. Well, it's simple. She's part of the reason I made this strawberry pie. Hannah is my granddog. She belongs to my oldest son and is an answer to my prayer that one day he have a child who acts just like him. I got my wish-- just in dog form. The entire family is leaving town for the weekend to critique (I mean attend) a wedding. Between us and three kids that means five dogs need to be babysat and not a one of them has ever been boarded. They've been in some nice hotels, but NEVER boarded. So, I talked one of my single friends into spending the weekend at my house! I've left goodies to make her stay more enjoyable.




The strawberries in the grocery store have been relatively inexpensive and very good lately, so they seemed like a good way to start my bribe. To make this pie combine 1 1/2 cups of sugar, 1 1/2 cups of water, 1/4 cup cornstarch and pinch of salt. Cook on medium heat until the mixture is almost clear and thickened. Add a 3 ounce package of stawberry Jello and a couple of drops of red food coloring. Mix with about a quart of sliced fresh strawberries. Pour into a prebaked and cooled pie shell. "Store-bought" pie shells are something that I can't improve on so I just flute the edges and accept the compliments graciously. Top with whipped cream or canned whipped topping.




I hope my friend won't miss this one little piece. She can have all the rest---except for what she has to share with Hannah!


Click on the Foodie Friday button. Gollum is serving up dessert and there's lots more to tempt your tastebuds. Click on over and enjoy the feast for your eyes!

24 comments:

  1. LOL, I know what you mean, my son has a pug bulldog that is the answer to my prayers for him to have a child like he was, Buddy Lee is so spoiled. And gives BB fits, ahhhh sweet revenge...lol..hope you babysitter gets to eat at least one peice of that pie. It sounds delis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a fabulous pie! We used to call it Shoney's pie, because they always served it - love it! Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks delicious! I wish we could find someone to doggie sit Molly when we're out of town. My granddogs are never boarded either, but we do leave Molly at her veterinarian, since the kiddo's aren't near enough to sit and that works out well...peace of mind for us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! How yummy! I am getting a dessert craving tonight with these dessert posts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh that does look fabulous and perfect for a Spring dessert!! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I make a similar pie except it has no jello and has red food coloring. One of those "older than the hills" recipes and believe it or not people are still impressed by it! But then good recipes can't really be improved upon. Your pie looks very good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks so pretty and so delicious-lucky dog sitter (and of course you had to taste it to make sure it was ok). laurie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Susan,
    Thanks for stopping by my blog! I love your cutie grand-dog! LOL! Oh...and that strawberry pie!! For that pie I'll come and babysit all the doggies!! Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for stopping by my blog. As soon as I saw strawberry pie and your grand-dog, I had a big smile on my face :-) Enjoy the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooh~strawberry pie is my favorite! I enjoy your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh wow! Strawberries! And in a pie! Yum!

    Thanks for the wonderful and yummy choice today!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You know I woould have been more than happy to dog sit for ya! Especially with strawberry pie on the table!!!! Have a safe and fun trip girlfriend! I'll be out of town next week but when I get back it's time to plan our lunch and thrift store jaunt! God bless! Lauralu :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I loved your post about the puppy and the wedding!

    Happy Foodie Friday to you, Susan!

    This is my first Foodie Friday and thank you for sharing your recipe for Strawberry Pie, very much a Spring Fling thing!

    The Raggedy Girl--Roberta Anne

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for sharing the strawberry pie recipe. It's soon gonna be that time to start picking them. It looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  15. How sweet! Our friends bring over pets when they come visit us, too. I mean, we already have five animals in the house, what's one more?!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have all the ingredients in my house and have not made this in years. Think I will whip this up today as a treat for my neighbor. I am dieting so if he asks me to stay and have a piece with him I will. I will have to force myself to forget that I am dieting:) He is elderly and always eats out and no family in the area and he loves any foods with berries so this is perfect. The first time I had this was years ago in Ohio. I never had this pie growing up so I missed out on a good thing. Thanks for sharing your recipe and have a good weekend.
    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  17. This looks so good right now! I too wish we had cyber sharing and tasting:) Yummy and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  18. The strawberry pie does remind me of Spring in a big way! I'm sure your friend will understand the one piece missing!

    Your grand-dog is so cute! I keep saying I hope I have grandchildren someday , preferably the two legged variety! Until then, I cpoil the 4-legged ones!

    ReplyDelete
  19. ADORE doggie! and YUMMY pie!
    ENJOY your weekend!
    Fifi

    ReplyDelete
  20. That pie looks fantastic! I love strawberries and the recipe is easy too, I might just have to make it very soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh Susan! I have something for ya! Come on over to Hidden Promise and pick it up girlfriend! God Bless! Lauralu :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Susan - The strawberry pie looks so yummy. I would love to have a piece right now!!!

    Thanks for stopping by our blog for Foodie Friday!

    Have a wonderful weekend.
    Nola @ The Bloom Girls

    ReplyDelete
  23. The pie looks delicious! I was LOL at the comment about you wishing your son would have a child that acts just like him. I tell my son that all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Everyone needs a basset! (Hubby has two:)
    My granddog bit me, so he is not one of my favorites any more. Great idea bribing, I mean inticing with strawberry pie:)

    ReplyDelete