Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Bundle of Joy Buffet

Last weekend I hosted a baby shower for a surprise baby. NO, the baby is not a surprise, but the sex of the bundle of joy will be unknown until the doctor announces it in the delivery room. What fun and excitement! The way we all used to do it!

CIMG2921

The color scheme for the shower was completely pastel—pink, blue, yellow, green, and lavender. Cupcakes, mini cheesecakes in pastel liners, pacifier candy favors, and candy-coated almonds lined the sideboard.

CIMG2914

I made pastel marshmallow fondant flowers to top the cupcakes and put them together them in every combination I could think of. I didn’t want to influence the outcome :). You can find details on the fondant here and the recipe here.

CIMG2927

The favors are made with Lifesavers, icing for glue, pastel jelly beans for the nipple, and LOTS of pastel curling ribbon. They are completely edible!

CIMG2906

The centerpiece was a mixture of fresh yellow and green flowers in this adorable bassinet I found online. I truly had hoped to take pictures of the entire table, but this baby shower almost got away from me! I thought it was more important to answer the door rather than keep clicking away!

CIMG2923

You can’t have a proper southern tea or shower without homemade pimiento cheese tea sandwiches! I used my acorn and maple leaf cookie cutters.

APPLE JULEP

For me, deciding on a beverage is always hard for afternoon events. I am not a real fan of most punches. However, this Apple Julep was a hit! It’s not too sweet and made a beautiful presentation with apple and lemon slices floating in it. Christy Jordan, who writes A Southern Plate blog, was recently featured in Southern Living and included this recipe. I’ve been reading Christy’s blog for a couple of years and she is as entertaining as she is informative.

Apple Julep

1 quart apple juice

1 cup pineapple juice

1 cup orange juice

1/4 cup lemon juice

Mix all well and serve chilled or over ice. Makes about six cups and doubles or triples easily.

I am linking to Susan @ Between Naps on the Porch for Tablescape Thursday and to Michael Lee West at Designs by Gollum for Foodie Friday. Click on their buttons on the sidebar for immediate inspiration. I’ll let you know what the “surprise” is in about three weeks! :) Thanks for stopping by—leave me a note!!~~Susan

21 comments:

  1. This is one great looking spread ! I just love it
    and you did a great job !
    Hugs ~ Kammy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing all of your wonderful creations with us. It is absolutely beautiful and appears so tasty. Going to hop over to Southern Plate. Enjoyed visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this looks like a very sweet baby shower. Love the little baby carriage centerpiece!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did a great job! Everything looks so pretty and yummy!
    Enjoy your evening.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So, so pretty!!! I love it that they are waiting to find out the baby's gender. Waiting is half the fun! I am sure your glorious spread and great effort were deeply appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful party! I love the Lifesavers pacifiers!

    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! that looks fabulous! You did a great job.
    We didn't know the sex of our 4 gkids either. It is so much more fun not knowing!
    I have that same wicker bassinet and matching little baskets. Too bad we don't live close, I could have lent them to you! And show you how to make a Bassinet cake too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very beautiful buffet, and I am sure tasty as well. thanks for coming to my blog and for your sweet words
    Love

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Susan! This looks fabulous! I love the recipe! If it says apple, it must be good! lol Hope you are having a great week!...hugs...Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  10. You displayed the food so beautifully. I love your cupcake stand. I think it would be fun to be surprised at the hospital like that. Nice job on your shower.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your buffet is just beautiful, I love the cupcakes and the holders. I bought the large silver holder for my DIL last year for Christmas. It makes a specticular centerpiece for a buffet as you have shown here. Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my, this is just beautiful! The cupcake stand is incredible, and everything just looks almost too good to eat! (almost :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a beautiful party. I like all the special touches.

    I know there were many accolades! Those cupcakes are so pretty and the flavors adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Susan,

    What an amazing and pretty baby shower, love all the sweet pastel colours.
    The favours are such a cute idea and thanks for sharing.

    Happy Halloween weekend
    Hugs
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  15. How fun, everything looks great! And I agree, I love the surprise:@)

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a beautiful shower. They won't want anyone else to give a shower but you after this. I love the cupcakes with all of the pastel colors. All 5 of mine were surprises. My Dr. didn't have the ultrasound yet, but my oldest daugher's 2nd ended up being a surprise even with an ultrasound.

    I loved your comment about how it was more important to answer the door than to keep snapping photos. Thanks for the photos you did get!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such an abundant presentation of special things for the baby shower. You are a very generous hostess. Everything looked beautiful. Thank you for the recipe for the Apple Julep. Cherry Kay

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a beautiful baby shower you had! Plus, everything looked delicious too! :)
    Best regards,
    Gloria

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a beautiful baby shower! I just love your cupcakes and the pacifiers you made. Everything looks just perfect. What a wonderful way to celebrate a new baby on the way!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a stunning buffet. Happy FF.

    :)
    ButterYum

    ReplyDelete
  21. Susan, you are soooo great at throwing a party! You always come up with the BEST ideas. When I saw those beautiful cupcakes, I was thinking that I wanted to know what bakery did them! You are amazingly talented! How cute are those edible pacifiers, and your Fall tea sandwiches are so pretty. Love the little bassinet filled with flowers. The punch sounds delicious, and I've never been to that blog. I'm going to check it out. laurie

    ReplyDelete